July 16, 2017

The 13th Doctor is Jodie Whittaker

On Sunday, the BBC announced the actor who is to take over the role of the Doctor from Peter Capaldi. It's Jodie Whittaker. She'll be the first woman to take on the role.


There had been talk of a woman being the next Doctor, but I never seriously considered it or how I'd feel. I figured they wouldn't do it. My reaction: pure joy. I didn't expect it to affect me so deeply, but I was thinking about it and telling Dave how much it meant to me and I started to cry! Unexpected, uncontrollable tears of joy. I mean, I couldn't even get a sentence out. Tears were streaming down my face.



You see, I grew up as a "tomboy" who liked things that were "for boys." In science fiction, there aren't many female heroes. Aside from Princess Leia and Wonder Woman, who did I have? When I wanted to see myself in the stories that I loved, most of the time I just wasn't there. In Doctor Who, I always liked Romana. She was the closest I could get to seeing myself in the Doctor. She was a Time Lord. She was smart and strong and could save the day, too. But I could never be the Doctor in those stories. Now I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...