June 24, 2018

Ricketts Glen State Park

I took off one day last week and headed out to Ricketts Glen State Park. It was about a two hour drive, out past Wilkes-Barre. I had heard good things, and I decided to do the seven-mile lollipop loop, hiking through woods and past over twenty waterfalls.


I started at the Route 118 parking area. The hike starts out as a level walk through the woods along the stream. There are several crossings over cool little bridges, and the sound of the water flowing over the rocks was soothing. 

 
As you hit the first three waterfalls before Waters Meet, it starts to get steeper.


Then you arrive at Waters Meet, and you have to decide- do you go to the left around the loop, or do you go to the right. 50 Hikes in Eastern Pennsylvania had said to go to the left, and I am SO GLAD that's how I went. Here's the thing. When there are waterfalls, there are steep trails. Going to the left meant I was going uphill toward the beginning of my hike. I got through the worst of it, then I recovered along the flat Highland Trail through the woods. The second half of the hike, along the second stream, it was all downhill. So I went uphill when I had the most energy and cruised the rest of the way.


See those steps? Uphill like that. Lots like that. It's much better to do that in the beginning than the end. There are giant waterfalls and small waterfalls and multi-layer waterfalls.


The tallest one is called Ganoga Falls. It was a pretty popular rest stop.


A couple in their 70s was sitting on a log looking at the falls. They grabbed their walking sticks and got ready to leave, but the man took out his phone and insisted that the woman go stand in front of the falls so he could take a photo. I couldn't help think of me and Dave. He does that all the time to me! I hope we're still out having adventures when we're their age.

walking up alongside Ganoga Falls
Dave wasn't with me this time since he had to work, but I'll go back with him in the future. I really liked Oneida Falls.

Oneida Falls

I think this one was my favorite of the park. It's the one that made me wish I had my DSLR and tripod. I was almost at the top, near the flat trail through the woods that led to the second stream, so I sat on one of those flat rocks for a little water break and a rest before pressing on.

Bye, Oneida!
It's worth mentioning that you should bring water, even if you're just doing the shorter loop around the falls and not the full seven miles starting down at Route 118. However, I really recommend starting at the southern parking lot. If you start near the campgrounds in the north, you'll go downhill first and you'll have to come back uphill. Also, wear boots if you have them because some parts of the trail are wet and slippery. I didn't have a problem with sturdy hiking boots.

Yep, that's a fallen tree.

The trails are clearly marked and well maintained, which is always appreciated. I was surprised at how many people were there on a weekday. I got there in the morning and a handful of cars were in the lot. When I left in the afternoon, the lot was almost full- and it's big.


I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this hike. It was the best hike I've done in Pennsylvania. You're mostly walking along water, and the views are beautiful.


You stop a lot to look at waterfalls, so that helps with recovery from all the steep inclines.


I felt great when I was done. It was a fantastic day.

2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome. I love scenery like that! If only I was younger... haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It was beautiful. I definitely want to go back.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...