March 12, 2016

Caramel apple cake

Last weekend I made caramel apple cake from Baked Explorations. I don't know what to say other than: DELICIOUS.


Don't let the photos deceive you. It's a universally known fact that I can't ice a cake. Or frost a cake. Whatever you want to call it- I have problems. This was a dense three layer cake made with applesauce. It had a wonderful flavor of apple and cinnamon, and it was very moist.


The buttercream was a caramel buttercream. The recipe called for making caramel sauce and gave a way to eyeball it if you didn't have a thermometer...That didn't turn out too well for me. I ended up with a giant hard ball of mess! So I ran out to the store to buy caramel sauce while the cake layers were cooling. The buttercream was good, but I bet it would be even better with homemade caramel sauce. I need to get a thermometer.


I brought the cake over to my parents' house, and it was a big hit. My grandfather ate two pieces! This is a definite make-again cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...