January 14, 2014

Random quotes I like

Here are some random quotes that I've either come across recently or that have been brought to my attention again.

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends.  I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature."  

Of course I start off with Austen!  This is said by a character in Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey.  I love everything about this quote.  Personally, I don't let a lot of people in.  My close friends mean the world to me.  I would do anything for them.


"I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me."  

I'm a big fan of Shakespeare.  I generally prefer the tragedies and histories to the comedies, but Much Ado About Nothing is one of my absolute favorites.  This quote comes from that play.  Beatrice says this to Benedick during one of their verbal sparring matches.  The entire play is filled with funny, clever, biting dialogue between the two of them.  For me, their banter makes the play.  I adore Beatrice.  She is independent and smart.  She holds her own against Benedick.  Beatrice rocks.

"I wonder that you will still be talking, Signor Benedick. Nobody marks you."


"All I want is the taste that your lips allow."  

I like how this encapsulates, in one beautiful turn of phrase, lusting for someone.  I'm talking purely physical lust.  (Sorry family- this is what you get for reading my blog.)  This quote comes from the song "Give Me Love" by my guilty pleasure, Ed Sheeran.  In my defense, I only like when he rocks out acoustically.  I don't really like his songs as they are released as overprocessed singles.  Ooo, but when this cute ginger Brit is by himself with his guitar- good stuff.  Ah, that is embarrassing to admit.


"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."  

A friend sent this Desmond Tutu quote to me a few days ago.  I tend to be quiet and reserved, and he was encouraging me to speak up for my beliefs.  It's similar to Edmund Burke's "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  As for the Burke quote, I've seen several variations on it, and I could not find a definitive answer as to which is correct.

That's it for quotes!  Next time- food or Doctor Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...