January 30, 2018

Book roundup

I love to read, but I had been in a bit of a book rut for some time. The past month or two I've rebounded and gone through a lot of great stuff. Getting lost in a book is a wonderful thing. Here are some books I've read recently that are worth a look.

The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin 
(The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate, and The Stone Sky)

broken earth trilogy

Holy freaking crap. These are the books that broke my book rut. I was searching online for new authors and new books to try and found that people rave about N.K. Jemisin. I also saw that her books have won Hugos. Well, that could go either way, right? Stuffy and boring, or fantastically excellent. Lucky for me, it was the latter. These books drew me in and I couldn't put them down. The characters, the plot, the world she built- all are great. Plus, I'm a sucker for a book with a map in the front.

The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn


Timothy Zahn writes novels other than the best Star Wars expanded universe novels? Why yes, he does. I don't know why it took me so long to read one of his non-Star Wars books, but when I did, I really enjoyed it. The characters were fun and so was the story.

Wonder Woman Omnibus Vol. 2 by George Perez


Over 500 pages of Wonder Woman comics written by George Perez. What else can I say? Good stuff.

JLA Vol. 5


This is a collection of JLA comics. JLA is a great Justice League series. Also, Wonder Woman.

Wishful Drinking and The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher


I'm a big fan of Carrie Fisher, beyond Princess Leia. Wishful Drinking is the stronger of these two memoirs. She made me laugh out loud. I'm heartbroken that she's gone.

Doctor Who books by various authors
(The Roundheads, Shadow in the Glass, Sands of Time, The English Way of Death, Scales of Injustice, Illegal Alien, Last of the Gaderene, and Diamond Dogs)


Doctor Who books are generally quick reads. These books had various Doctors and companions and were of varying quality, but they were all enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. REAL Doctor Who books are published by Target, written by Terrance Dicks and have titles that begin with "Doctor Who and the..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! True. I have piles of those, too. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...