June 4, 2018

Washington Crossing State Park

We went to Washington Crossing State Park in New Jersey last weekend. It has miles of trails and some historical items in the visitor center. The exact location where the best Founding Father crossed the Delaware River isn't known, but the ranger said the marker was close.


I should note that I grew up right outside Philadelphia, where the Delaware is REALLY BIG. I live in the Lehigh Valley, where the Delaware is small. I call it the Baby Delaware. I went tubing down the Baby Delaware, and you could never do that in Philly. So the stories about Washington crossing the Delaware seemed more impressive when you think the river is enormous. The Delaware River where Washington crossed isn't much bigger than it is where I live. That being said, it's still an impressive feat to get all those men and the equipment across in the night without being found out. Go GW!

We rounded out the day walking along the river and the canal. It was a nice outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...